Curried Chickpea aka Channa Dal or Channa Masala is a delicious Indian dish of chickpeas and spice. Try this easy recipe for an authentic and healthy experience! Curried chickpea is usually made with butter or ghee (clarified butter) however this recipe uses vegetable oil instead. The result is a delicious vegan curried chickpea recipe; dairy free but not flavor free. This is probably the dish I see most frequently available in Indian food buffets. There are many variations on curried chickpea. Personally I like to increase the garlic and add a little extra heat.
- 1.5 cup chickpeas, washed and drained
- 5 c. water
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. garam masala (optional)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Put chickpeas in a bowl, rinse with water. Add enough cold water to cover and soak overnight.
2. To cook chickpeas, drain chickpeas. Place chickpeas, 5 c. water, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for about 1 hour.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion turns golden brown.
4. Add chickpeas and cooking liquid to onion mixture. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until chickpeas are tender but not mushy.
5. Add lemon juice and garam masala and mix well.
6. Place chickpeas in a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves.
Canned chickpeas can replace dried chickpeas in this curry recipe. Simply reduce the amount of water that is added to the dish. Add 2 cups of water instead of 5 when using canned chickpeas. Monitor the dish as it cooks and add some more liquid if it gets dry. Also, the dish need only simmer for about 15 min when using canned chickpeas in the recipe.