Tofu and Spinach Burgers are simple to make, taste great and are a healthy alternative to many of the 'veggie' burgers available on the market. This tofu spinach veggie burger recipe is sure to become your number one cooking bookmark!
- 10 OUNCES FRESH SPINACH
- I TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
- 1 CUP CHOPPED SCALLIONS
- 1/2 CUP GRATED CARROTS
- 1/2 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
- 1/2 CUP WALNUTS
- 1/2 CUP COOKED BROWN RICE
- 16 OUNCES OF FIRM TOFU
- I TEASPOON MUSTARD
- 2 TABLESPOONS MISO
- GROUND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- 2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
1) Steam the spinach and drain it well. You should end up with about 3/4 cup, packed.
2) Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat and cook the scallions, carrots, oregano, and garlic until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
3) In a food processor, pulse the walnuts and rice until crumbly, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Pulse half of the tofu and half of the drained spinach a little to mix the uniformly. Pulse the remainder of the spinach and tofu with the mustard, miso, black pepper, and dill until well blended and add to the mixing bowl. Add the cooked scallions and carrots, and mix well.
4) Shape the mixture into 6 burgers (about 3/4 cup each), and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. In a preheated 3500 oven, bake the burgers for about 35 minutes, until puffed and browned.
These burgers are great on a bun with lettuce, tomatoes and all of your favorite fixin's. They're also great on rice or on their own!